January 7, 2011
Construction of Winnipeg’s Disraeli Bridge halted as police search for boy’s body
Construction of the Disraeli Bridge over the Red River in Winnipeg, Manitoba has been halted as police attempt to find the body of a six year old boy, who fell through the ice.
Nathaniel Thorassie, fell through the ice while he was with his 10 year old brother on Dec. 4.
They were playing with hockey sticks and breaking chunks of ice by the open water when the ice's edge broke away.
Both siblings fell into the frigid water, but the older boy was saved when a passerby tossed him a rope.
The city’s police have been working with Canadian Amphibious Search Team (CAST) to find the body of the child.
This week police resumed their seach and Winnipeg officials brought a pig cadaver to the Red River in hopes it will lead divers to the boy's body.
The Disraeli Bridge is Winnipeg’s largest bridge project to date. At the peak of construction the project will support 120 construction jobs.
Plenary Roads Winnipeg — the construction consortium hired for the three-year project — was to start preparing the site around the bridge by building a construction compound and doing some riverbank stabilization. That work would have occurred near the same spots divers use for their staging areas.
|MOST POPULAR STORIES|
|TODAY’S TOP CONSTRUCTION PROJECTS|
These projects have been selected from 321 projects with a total value of $20,605,386,875 that Reed Construction Data Building Reports reported on Friday.
$174,000,000 Lethbridge AB Prebid
$100,000,000 Victoria BC Prebid
$79,000,000 Richmond BC Negotiated
- VIDEO: Journal of Commerce Update for the week of December 9th, 2013
- Building the One
- New design-build contracts released
- Sales tax transition has been a mixed bag for industry
- Taseko files for judicial review of gold mine assessment
- Contract uncertainty and price escalation
- Edmonton college expansion moves ahead
- Council of Construction Associations names Dave Baspaly as new president
- $100 million added to Calgary's capital budget
- Massive investment will complete Kitimat smelter project
- Manitoba invests $45 million
- Corruption charge in probe of SNC-Lavalin
- NTCCC takes to Parliament Hill tomorrow
- Emerald Park Progress
- “Super beam” installed in Montreal Champlain Bridge repair
- Is there energy gold to be mined in sewage processing?
- Ottawa LRT tunnel boring machines named
- Better transportation key to quality of life, states CivicAction
- Three World Cup stadiums behind schedule
- Ontario introduces legislation to help protect vulnerable workers
- Istanbul’s Grand Bazaar inspires design of new strip mall currently being built in Las Vegas