LATEST NEWS Trade Contracting
November 19, 2012
Partnership to build natural gas powered generation stations
TransAlta Corporation is joining forces with an Iowa-based energy services provider to develop, build and operate new natural gas-fueled electricity generation projects in Canada.
“The creation of this partnership is a new and exciting development in our growth strategy and better positions the two companies to pursue significant growth opportunities in Canada,” said Dawn Farrell, TransAlta president and CEO.
“Studies are showing that more than $200 billion worth of new investment in power generation is needed in Canada over the next 20 years.
“MidAmerican is a strong partner to enable us to capture a sizeable share of that market opportunity, and this project will build off our already existing business relationship, which dates back to 2001.”
The agreement between TransAlta and MidAmerican Energy Holdings Company deals with all new natural gas-fueled generation opportunities considered by either TransAlta or MidAmerican in Canada.
All development and construction or acquisition of approved projects will be funded on a 50-50 basis, and TransAlta will be responsible for construction management, operation and maintenance of projects that proceed. This includes TransAlta’s proposed Sundance 7 project, which is an 800-megawatt project based in Alberta.
The project is scheduled for completion by 2016 or 2017
“At MidAmerican, we have been seeking an entry point to the Canadian electricity generation market, where we see strong potential for growth,” said Greg Abel, chairman, president and CEO of MidAmerican.
Gas-fired generation plants will be needed to produce electricity in Alberta’s oilsands and for liquefied natural gas export terminals on Canada’s West Coast.
JOC NEWS SERVICE
|MOST POPULAR STORIES|
|TODAY’S TOP CONSTRUCTION PROJECTS|
These projects have been selected from 443 projects with a total value of $1,866,277,015 that Reed Construction Data Building Reports reported on Tuesday.
$120,000,000 Langley, Dist Mun BC CANCELLED/ DEFERRED
$60,000,000 Vancouver BC Prebid
$50,000,000 Langley, Dist Mun BC Prebid
- Construction Site Arson
- Historic church renovation reaches new heights
- Hiring of foreign workers for hospital project outrages union
- Festival of Architecture hits Halifax
- Winnipeg Southwest Transitway wins award
- Vendor performance is key measurement
- NDP leader spoke to police about corruption
- Big contract down under for ATCO Structures
- RFQ issued for Kamloops hospital project
- VIDEO: Economic Update May 21, 2013
- VIDEO: Competing in the trades
- New ETFO headquarters a benchmark design
- Viana steps up to rebuild burnt down playground
- Random drug testing about site safety, says expert
- Trying to define the “lowest price”
- High job vacancy rates for small business
- Minto to assist in zero energy housing project
|ALEX’S ECONOMICS BLOG|
Reed Construction Data Canada’s Chief Economist Alex Carrick discusses current developments in the North American economic environment with emphasis on the construction industry.
- An Overview of Prices and Sales in the Diverging U.S. and Canadian Housing Markets (April 25, 2013)
- Canada’s Precarious Dependence on the Commodity Price Super-Cycle (April 22, 2013)
- Twenty major upcoming residential and transportation terminal construction projects - April 2013 (April 15, 2013)