November 28, 2012
Syncrude awards two oilsands contracts
Syncrude has awarded two contracts to KBR for module fabrication and field construction of a plant for processing tailings from its oilsands mines northeast of Fort McMurray, Alta.
The general contractor, KBR Industrial Canada, a subsidiary of KBR Canada, will provide module fabrication and construction services for the project, which uses Syncrude’s newest tailings reduction technology.
Module fabrication is scheduled to begin late this year and run through the end of 2013.
Construction will follow with mechanical completion scheduled to allow plant start-up in 2015.
The process is designed to pump fluid fine tailings through a series of centrifuges to separate the maximum amount of water from the solids.
Released water will be recycled for plant operations and the soil product of the centrifuge process will have sufficient density and strength to be placed in deposits, then capped and reclaimed. Tailing ponds hold the mixture of water, solids, and other fluids left over from the initial processing of mined oilsands.
JOC NEWS SERVICE
|MOST POPULAR STORIES|
|TODAY’S TOP CONSTRUCTION PROJECTS|
These projects have been selected from 321 projects with a total value of $20,605,386,875 that Reed Construction Data Building Reports reported on Friday.
$174,000,000 Lethbridge AB Prebid
$100,000,000 Victoria BC Prebid
$79,000,000 Richmond BC Negotiated
- VIDEO: Journal of Commerce Update for the week of December 9th, 2013
- Building the One
- New design-build contracts released
- Sales tax transition has been a mixed bag for industry
- Taseko files for judicial review of gold mine assessment
- Contract uncertainty and price escalation
- Edmonton college expansion moves ahead
- Council of Construction Associations names Dave Baspaly as new president
- $100 million added to Calgary's capital budget
- Massive investment will complete Kitimat smelter project
- Manitoba invests $45 million
- Corruption charge in probe of SNC-Lavalin
- NTCCC takes to Parliament Hill tomorrow
- Emerald Park Progress
- “Super beam” installed in Montreal Champlain Bridge repair
- Is there energy gold to be mined in sewage processing?
- Ottawa LRT tunnel boring machines named
- Better transportation key to quality of life, states CivicAction
- Three World Cup stadiums behind schedule
- Ontario introduces legislation to help protect vulnerable workers
- Istanbul’s Grand Bazaar inspires design of new strip mall currently being built in Las Vegas