LATEST NEWS Skills Training
January 16, 2013
Worker dies in forklift incident
WorkSafeBC and the BC Coroners Service are investigating the death of a worker last week at a construction site near Osoyoos, B.C.
Megan Johnston, WorkSafeBC spokesperson, said a construction worker was struck and killed on Jan. 10 by a load of oriented-strand board sheets that slid from a forklift.
The incident happened at the worksite of Osoyoos Cottages, which is a recreational property development on Osoyoos Lake.
The worker was employed by Stelkia Construction.
Johnston said WorkSafeBC was notified in the early afternoon of Jan. 10 and their officers attended the worksite.
The ongoing investigation will be looking at all of the workplace factors that may have contributed to this incident, such as: worker training and supervision; condition and maintenance of equipment; training for use of equipment and for working in the area of mobile equipment.
The B.C. Coroners Service reported on Jan. 11 that the name of the man who died in the incident is Sheldon Skolos, 27, from Oliver.
They confirmed that Skolos was assisting a forklift operator in transporting construction materials when the incident occurred.
JOC NEWS SERVICE
|MOST POPULAR STORIES|
|TODAY’S TOP CONSTRUCTION PROJECTS|
These projects have been selected from 321 projects with a total value of $20,605,386,875 that Reed Construction Data Building Reports reported on Friday.
$174,000,000 Lethbridge AB Prebid
$100,000,000 Victoria BC Prebid
$79,000,000 Richmond BC Negotiated
- VIDEO: Journal of Commerce Update for the week of December 9th, 2013
- Building the One
- New design-build contracts released
- Sales tax transition has been a mixed bag for industry
- Taseko files for judicial review of gold mine assessment
- Contract uncertainty and price escalation
- Edmonton college expansion moves ahead
- Council of Construction Associations names Dave Baspaly as new president
- $100 million added to Calgary's capital budget
- Massive investment will complete Kitimat smelter project
- Manitoba invests $45 million
- Corruption charge in probe of SNC-Lavalin
- NTCCC takes to Parliament Hill tomorrow
- Emerald Park Progress
- “Super beam” installed in Montreal Champlain Bridge repair
- Is there energy gold to be mined in sewage processing?
- Ottawa LRT tunnel boring machines named
- Better transportation key to quality of life, states CivicAction
- Three World Cup stadiums behind schedule
- Ontario introduces legislation to help protect vulnerable workers
- Istanbul’s Grand Bazaar inspires design of new strip mall currently being built in Las Vegas