January 23, 2013
Saskatchewan feasibility study
Saskatoon, Saskatchewan is working with a local engineering firm to assess the feasibility of building the North Commuter Bridge.
City council voted on Jan. 7 to accept the $109,488 proposal submitted by Clifton Associates Ltd., to complete the preliminary geotechnical and environmental investigations for a new bridge.
A Request for Proposal was sent to seven engineering firms and posted on the SaskTenders website and a response was received from the following six firms:
AMEC Environment & Infrastructure Ltd.;
Clifton Associates Ltd.;
Golder Associates Ltd.;
MMM Group Ltd.;
SNC-Lavalin/MDH Engineered Solutions; and
WorleyParsons Canada Ltd.
According to council minutes, the North Commuter Bridge is required to address the travel demands of Saskatoon’s rapidly growing population of 500,000.
It will link the Marquis Industrial and the University Heights areas.
One of the first steps in the development of a design for a river crossing is a preliminary geotechnical and environmental assessment of the proposed alignment.
Regulatory approvals may be required for this work.
If the recommendation from this work is to proceed with the proposed alignment, the subsequent plan will require public consultation.
This is expected to coincide with the public consultation associated with the amendment of the University Heights Sector Plan, tentatively scheduled for February 2013.
The city’s 2013 budget for the bridge is $7.6 million, which will pay for assessments and land acquisitions.
The construction cost of the bridge is estimated at $86 million and the completion of the bridge is expected by 2016.
JOC NEWS SERVICE
To view a building report about the North Commuter Bridge, click here.
|MOST POPULAR STORIES|
|TODAY’S TOP CONSTRUCTION PROJECTS|
These projects have been selected from 299 projects with a total value of $6,054,395,373 that Reed Construction Data Building Reports reported on Tuesday.
$1,400,000,000 Greater Vancouver RD BC Negotiated
$127,000,000 Coquitlam BC Negotiated
$100,000,000 Division No 16 AB Prebid
- New Westminster Development
- Natural gas generating facilities planned
- Refinery costs jump by $2.8 billion
- Employers must be aware of liability at holiday office parties
- New charges needed for infrastructure
- Skills Training at BCIT
- Auditor generals weigh in on value of P3s
- Low lead requirements kicking in next year
- Mental heath and workplace psychology must be addressed
- Edmonton International Airport mall takes shape
- University of Winnipeg building an apartment complex
- Toronto firms tops for Winnipeg hut designs
- Toronto architect releases music album
- Road pricing an effective congestion fighter, say experts
- What does “Local Knowledge” really mean in Ontario AFPs?
- United States construction employers add 17,000 jobs in November but growth is uneven, finds AGC
- Toronto housing starts dip: CMHC
- Active unions needed, says Segal
- Saint John Harbour Bridge project wraps up