February 20, 2013
Architectural service industries witness modest gains
A recent report by Statistics Canada estimates that the architectural and landscape architectural service industries in Canada earned combined operating revenues of $3.5 billion in 2011, which represents a marginal increase of 0.3 per cent from 2010.
According to the report, operating expenses increased by 0.1 per cent to just under $3.0 billion, over the same period. As a result, these industries generated a 13.6 per cent profit margin, which is up from 13.4 per cent in 2010.
Architectural services, which is the larger of the two industries, accounted for $3.1 billion, or 90.5 per cent of total revenues. Landscape architectural services accounted for the remaining 9.5 per cent.
In terms of revenue growth, architectural services increased by 0.5 per cent from 2010 to 2011, while landscape architectural services fell by 0.8 per cent.
The majority of the sales for the combined industries were derived from non-residential building projects (62.0 per cent).
Residential building projects generated 18.3 per cent of the sales. The remaining sales came from landscape architecture, urban planning and other related services.
For non-residential building projects, health care projects, such as hospitals and nursing homes generated the most sales (12.4 per cent).
Educational building projects such as schools, colleges and universities ranked second and generated 11.9 per cent of sales, which is down from 14.0 per cent in 2010. Although office buildings continued to rank third, their share of sales grew to 11.2 per cent in 2011 from 9.8 in 2010. Residential building projects had almost twice as much business from multi-family residential projects (12.0 per cent) than from single family residential projects (6.3 per cent).
The industry earned more than half of its sales from the business sector (51.5 per cent), compared with 36.9 per cent from governments and public institutions.
The remaining 11.6 per cent came mostly from households and partly from foreign clients.
As in previous years, most of the businesses providing architectural services were located in Ontario, which accounted for 39.6 cent of the operating revenues in Canada.
Quebec generated 20.6 per cent, followed by British Columbia (15.8 per cent) and Alberta (14.4 per cent).
JOC NEWS SERVICE
|MOST POPULAR STORIES|
|TODAY’S TOP CONSTRUCTION PROJECTS|
These projects have been selected from 316 projects with a total value of $2,787,806,637 that Reed Construction Data Building Reports reported on Friday.
$1,000,000,000 Edmonton AB Prebid
$220,000,000 Medicine Hat AB Negotiated
$50,000,000 Calgary AB Prebid
- Construction Site Arson
- Industry reacts to surprise B.C. Liberal majority
- Journal of Commerce Update for the week of May 20th, 2013
- Calgary Airport Tunnel
- Worker at centre of union sign up allegations speaks out
- Calgary program aims to get more people into the trades
- Midrise in the City
- Veterans battle barriers into the trades
- Government makes changes to online tendering
- SNC-Lavalin maintains that new bribery allegations have been resolved
- B.C. faces a tough battle for top talent
- Keyano College building state of the art training facility
- Essential skills can play a vital role in an apprentices' success
- Taking a closer look at the risks in green building for contractors
- Colleges conduct construction research in addition to teaching
- Skills Canada BC Competition
- Lower Mainland high school trades program is unique
- Construction Learning Forum aims to educate
- High schools looking for more industry participation
- Industrial construction supervisor program takes off
- Saskatchewan bill passed
- Edmonton garners support for regional cash for arena
- Feds pledge $5 million for Vimy memorial
- VIDEO: Competing in the trades
- Provinces need to loosen up apprenticeship rules
- Way Up on Westwood
- Building Up On Bayview
- Barrie Construction Association rolls with motorcycle ride for cancer
- Vimy Ridge memorial gets new visitor centre
- Minnesota Vikings unveil new multi-use stadium plan
- Proposed Ambassador Bridge twinning draws Windsor mayor’s ire
- Construction on pedestrian tunnel to Billy Bishop Airport continues to make progress
|ALEX’S ECONOMICS BLOG|
Reed Construction Data Canada’s Chief Economist Alex Carrick discusses current developments in the North American economic environment with emphasis on the construction industry.
- An Overview of Prices and Sales in the Diverging U.S. and Canadian Housing Markets (April 25, 2013)
- Canada’s Precarious Dependence on the Commodity Price Super-Cycle (April 22, 2013)
- Twenty major upcoming residential and transportation terminal construction projects - April 2013 (April 15, 2013)