LATEST NEWS O H & S
March 4, 2013
Gas leak causes Spruce Grove explosion
Alberta Occupational Health and Safety (OH&S) officers are investigating the cause of an explosion that rocked a duplex under construction in Spruce Grove last week.
“It is still under investigation...” said Stewart McAndrews, president of Dolce Vita Homes.
“It was a gas explosion, but we don’t know what the cause is. It was very unfortunate, but we are glad no one was injured.”
According to Alberta OH&S spokesperson Lisa Glover at about 9 p.m. on Feb. 23, two workers were at the site when it exploded.
“There were no injuries,” she said. “The fire department has control of the scene and OH&S officers are on site undertaking an investigation.”
The incident occurred on Greenbury Crescent.
“Two male sub-contractors had been tiling in the kitchen throughout the day and indicated they had smelled a gas like substance in the home,” said Cpl. Colette Zazulak of the Spruce Grove/Stoney Plain RCMP.
“These males were still present and working in the home, when the basement exploded. They were able to escape the residence unharmed.”
Police arrived moments later and evacuated the area within a one-block radius for fear of a potential gas leak.
All residents were later allowed to return to their homes.
RCMP said the explosion and subsequent fire remain under investigation, but does not appear to be suspicious in nature.
The fire department said the duplex is totally destroyed, but the cost of the damage has not been determined.
The explosion in Spruce Grove happened two days after an explosion at a house under construction in Fort Saskatchewan that killed one worker and seriously injured two others.
In this incident, 33-year-old Jason Michalycia died and his cousins, brothers Wilfred and Wes Michalycia suffered serious injuries.
|MOST POPULAR STORIES|
|TODAY’S TOP CONSTRUCTION PROJECTS|
These projects have been selected from 316 projects with a total value of $2,787,806,637 that Reed Construction Data Building Reports reported on Friday.
$1,000,000,000 Edmonton AB Prebid
$220,000,000 Medicine Hat AB Negotiated
$50,000,000 Calgary AB Prebid
- Construction Site Arson
- Industry reacts to surprise B.C. Liberal majority
- Journal of Commerce Update for the week of May 20th, 2013
- Calgary Airport Tunnel
- Worker at centre of union sign up allegations speaks out
- Calgary program aims to get more people into the trades
- Midrise in the City
- Veterans battle barriers into the trades
- Government makes changes to online tendering
- SNC-Lavalin maintains that new bribery allegations have been resolved
- B.C. faces a tough battle for top talent
- Keyano College building state of the art training facility
- Essential skills can play a vital role in an apprentices' success
- Taking a closer look at the risks in green building for contractors
- Colleges conduct construction research in addition to teaching
- Skills Canada BC Competition
- Lower Mainland high school trades program is unique
- Construction Learning Forum aims to educate
- High schools looking for more industry participation
- Industrial construction supervisor program takes off
- Saskatchewan bill passed
- Edmonton garners support for regional cash for arena
- Feds pledge $5 million for Vimy memorial
- VIDEO: Economic Update May 21, 2013
- VIDEO: Competing in the trades
- Multi-employer approach needed in apprenticeships
- New Perspective
- ACEC’s input helps develop global engineering guidelines
- Clerk of works position gives peace of mind on projects
- World Trade Center developer’s plan for a 926-foot tower moving ahead
- Call for action after MOL says workers are responsible for their own safety
- Cold spring and weak construction hurt Deere’s 2013 predictions
- CanBIM reschedule June session
- More green roofs top Toronto buildings
- Witness recants testimony in Montreal corruption case
|ALEX’S ECONOMICS BLOG|
Reed Construction Data Canada’s Chief Economist Alex Carrick discusses current developments in the North American economic environment with emphasis on the construction industry.
- An Overview of Prices and Sales in the Diverging U.S. and Canadian Housing Markets (April 25, 2013)
- Canada’s Precarious Dependence on the Commodity Price Super-Cycle (April 22, 2013)
- Twenty major upcoming residential and transportation terminal construction projects - April 2013 (April 15, 2013)