March 13, 2013
Journal of Commerce Update for the week of March 18th, 2013
In this week's update, we look at some of the stories we'll be covering in the Journal of Commerce for the week of March 18th, 2013.
A fire at a Winnipeg construction site was likely set deliberately. Staff writer Richard Gilbert looks into a fire at a building under construction at the Winnipeg Children’s Hospital which resulted in the evacuation of more than 90 patients.
DCN managing editor Vince Versace profiles a new national human resources guide based on the Saskatchewan Construction Association’s human resources toolkit, and guest columnist Gord Stewart examines the options available to pooled registered pension plans for small and mid-size business.
We spotlight the winners of the ninth annual B.C. Wood Design Awards, including innovative buildings like the North Vancouver Civic Centre and the University of British Columbia Earth Sciences Building, an our weekly feature video goes in depth with a few of the award winners and Wood WORKS! BC executive director Mary Tracey.
|MOST POPULAR STORIES|
|TODAY’S TOP CONSTRUCTION PROJECTS|
These projects have been selected from 316 projects with a total value of $2,787,806,637 that Reed Construction Data Building Reports reported on Friday.
$1,000,000,000 Edmonton AB Prebid
$220,000,000 Medicine Hat AB Negotiated
$50,000,000 Calgary AB Prebid
- Construction Site Arson
- Historic church renovation reaches new heights
- Hiring of foreign workers for hospital project outrages union
- Festival of Architecture hits Halifax
- Winnipeg Southwest Transitway wins award
- Vendor performance is key measurement
- NDP leader spoke to police about corruption
- Big contract down under for ATCO Structures
- RFQ issued for Kamloops hospital project
- VIDEO: Economic Update May 21, 2013
- VIDEO: Competing in the trades
- New ETFO headquarters a benchmark design
- Viana steps up to rebuild burnt down playground
- Random drug testing about site safety, says expert
- Trying to define the “lowest price”
- High job vacancy rates for small business
- Minto to assist in zero energy housing project
|ALEX’S ECONOMICS BLOG|
Reed Construction Data Canada’s Chief Economist Alex Carrick discusses current developments in the North American economic environment with emphasis on the construction industry.
- An Overview of Prices and Sales in the Diverging U.S. and Canadian Housing Markets (April 25, 2013)
- Canada’s Precarious Dependence on the Commodity Price Super-Cycle (April 22, 2013)
- Twenty major upcoming residential and transportation terminal construction projects - April 2013 (April 15, 2013)