September 4, 2013
Preliminary work starts on new bridge in Shuswap region
The Government of British Columbia will put $3 million towards the design and construction of a new bridge on Highway 97A over Hummingbird Creek in the Shuswap region.
Preliminary design work is underway on a new clear span concrete structure to replace the existing culvert. The design is expected to be completed by next spring, with construction to follow later in 2014.
Work on the project will also include removal of some of the gravel bed load from the creek near the outlet to Mara Lake, and strengthening of 120 metres of creek bank adjacent to the Hummingbird Beach Resort, scheduled to begin in the fall.
Following flood damage to the highway in June 2012, Golder and Associates was commissioned by the province to design creek repairs to restore the channel to its previous condition. The engineering firm also assessed the existing highway culvert capacity.
According to a Golder and Associates report, the existing culvert does not meet the Ministry of Transportation and Infrastructure’s requirements for flow capacity, and the ministry will install the new bridge to span the stream.
JOC NEWS SERVICE
|MOST POPULAR STORIES|
|TODAY’S TOP CONSTRUCTION PROJECTS|
These projects have been selected from 321 projects with a total value of $20,605,386,875 that Reed Construction Data Building Reports reported on Friday.
$174,000,000 Lethbridge AB Prebid
$100,000,000 Victoria BC Prebid
$79,000,000 Richmond BC Negotiated
- VIDEO: Journal of Commerce Update for the week of December 9th, 2013
- Building the One
- New design-build contracts released
- Sales tax transition has been a mixed bag for industry
- Taseko files for judicial review of gold mine assessment
- Contract uncertainty and price escalation
- Edmonton college expansion moves ahead
- Council of Construction Associations names Dave Baspaly as new president
- $100 million added to Calgary's capital budget
- Massive investment will complete Kitimat smelter project
- Manitoba invests $45 million
- Corruption charge in probe of SNC-Lavalin
- NTCCC takes to Parliament Hill tomorrow
- Emerald Park Progress
- “Super beam” installed in Montreal Champlain Bridge repair
- Is there energy gold to be mined in sewage processing?
- Ottawa LRT tunnel boring machines named
- Better transportation key to quality of life, states CivicAction
- Three World Cup stadiums behind schedule
- Ontario introduces legislation to help protect vulnerable workers
- Istanbul’s Grand Bazaar inspires design of new strip mall currently being built in Las Vegas