LATEST NEWS Professional Services
September 9, 2013
Manitoba municipal council broke rules
Manitoba's auditor general says a municipal council northeast of Winnipeg broke several laws and bylaws in recent years.
Carol Bellringer says the Rural Municipality of Lac Du Bonnet violated the province's Municipal Act by writing off property taxes owed by a tourist camp. Bellringer says council also had the province pay to fix a ditch that had been improperly built in the first place and was the responsibility of the builder.
The auditor also says a former reeve of the municipality was in a conflict of interest when he acted as both reeve and building inspector.
Bellringer is calling on the Manitoba government to monitor the municipality and ensure changes are made.
Deputy reeve Bob Bruneau says he hasn’t yet seen the report, but suggests some of the complaints came from a small group of citizens who wanted to “stir the pot.”
News from © Canadian Press Enterprises Inc., 2013
|MOST POPULAR STORIES|
|TODAY’S TOP CONSTRUCTION PROJECTS|
These projects have been selected from 321 projects with a total value of $20,605,386,875 that Reed Construction Data Building Reports reported on Friday.
$174,000,000 Lethbridge AB Prebid
$100,000,000 Victoria BC Prebid
$79,000,000 Richmond BC Negotiated
- VIDEO: Journal of Commerce Update for the week of December 9th, 2013
- Building the One
- New design-build contracts released
- Sales tax transition has been a mixed bag for industry
- Taseko files for judicial review of gold mine assessment
- Contract uncertainty and price escalation
- Edmonton college expansion moves ahead
- Council of Construction Associations names Dave Baspaly as new president
- $100 million added to Calgary's capital budget
- Massive investment will complete Kitimat smelter project
- Manitoba invests $45 million
- Corruption charge in probe of SNC-Lavalin
- NTCCC takes to Parliament Hill tomorrow
- Emerald Park Progress
- “Super beam” installed in Montreal Champlain Bridge repair
- Is there energy gold to be mined in sewage processing?
- Ottawa LRT tunnel boring machines named
- Better transportation key to quality of life, states CivicAction
- Three World Cup stadiums behind schedule
- Ontario introduces legislation to help protect vulnerable workers
- Istanbul’s Grand Bazaar inspires design of new strip mall currently being built in Las Vegas