September 4, 2013
Journal of Commerce Update for the week of September 9th, 2013
In this week's update, we look at some of the stories we'll be covering in the Journal of Commerce for the week of September 9th, 2013.
Taseko Mines say a “misinformation campaign” is fuelling opposition to their $1 billion gold and copper mine project near Williams Lake, B.C. First Nations leaders say their fully supported by their communities and have also expressed frustration with the federal environmental review process. .dStaff writer Richard Gilbert has a story about the millions of work hours lost to the Alberta floods. The construction industry offset the total hours lost by devoting time and resources to repairing the damage caused by flooding.
Stephen Bauld has a new column about long-term contracts, and make sure to check out this week’s video featuring Stephen Kushner, the president of Merit Contractors Association, who talks about labour shortages and his organization’s response to the floods.
|MOST POPULAR STORIES|
|TODAY’S TOP CONSTRUCTION PROJECTS|
These projects have been selected from 321 projects with a total value of $20,605,386,875 that Reed Construction Data Building Reports reported on Friday.
$174,000,000 Lethbridge AB Prebid
$100,000,000 Victoria BC Prebid
$79,000,000 Richmond BC Negotiated
- VIDEO: Journal of Commerce Update for the week of December 9th, 2013
- Building the One
- New design-build contracts released
- Sales tax transition has been a mixed bag for industry
- Taseko files for judicial review of gold mine assessment
- Contract uncertainty and price escalation
- Edmonton college expansion moves ahead
- Council of Construction Associations names Dave Baspaly as new president
- $100 million added to Calgary's capital budget
- Massive investment will complete Kitimat smelter project
- Manitoba invests $45 million
- Corruption charge in probe of SNC-Lavalin
- NTCCC takes to Parliament Hill tomorrow
- Emerald Park Progress
- “Super beam” installed in Montreal Champlain Bridge repair
- Is there energy gold to be mined in sewage processing?
- Ottawa LRT tunnel boring machines named
- Better transportation key to quality of life, states CivicAction
- Three World Cup stadiums behind schedule
- Ontario introduces legislation to help protect vulnerable workers
- Istanbul’s Grand Bazaar inspires design of new strip mall currently being built in Las Vegas