LATEST NEWS Steel
October 7, 2013
SMS Stadium targets summer 2015 opening
Construction of SMS Stadium at Shell Place in Fort McMurray is underway with the first pieces of steel being erected despite poor weather.
“Seeing the first piece of steel erected in the Field House at Shell Place in late April was a milestone, and now we can begin to see SMS Stadium take shape as well,” said Tim Reid, chief operating officer of MacDonald Island Park and chief executive officer at the Regional Recreation Corporation.
“The erection of steel for the amenities helps the community begin to visualize Shell Place, and with that visualization comes a realization of the potential and opportunities this iconic new facility will present for our region and our downtown core.”
Construction work on SMS Stadium will continue into the fall, and construction on the canopy structure overlooking the stage at SMS Stadium and the Molson Outdoor Rink will begin shortly as construction materials for the structure started to arrive in September. SMS Stadium will be opened on June 13, 2015 for the Northern Kickoff pre-season game between the Edmonton Eskimos and the Saskatchewan Roughriders.
|MOST POPULAR STORIES|
|TODAY’S TOP CONSTRUCTION PROJECTS|
These projects have been selected from 321 projects with a total value of $20,605,386,875 that Reed Construction Data Building Reports reported on Friday.
$174,000,000 Lethbridge AB Prebid
$100,000,000 Victoria BC Prebid
$79,000,000 Richmond BC Negotiated
- VIDEO: Journal of Commerce Update for the week of December 9th, 2013
- Building the One
- New design-build contracts released
- Sales tax transition has been a mixed bag for industry
- Taseko files for judicial review of gold mine assessment
- Contract uncertainty and price escalation
- Edmonton college expansion moves ahead
- Council of Construction Associations names Dave Baspaly as new president
- $100 million added to Calgary's capital budget
- Massive investment will complete Kitimat smelter project
- Manitoba invests $45 million
- Corruption charge in probe of SNC-Lavalin
- NTCCC takes to Parliament Hill tomorrow
- Emerald Park Progress
- “Super beam” installed in Montreal Champlain Bridge repair
- Is there energy gold to be mined in sewage processing?
- Ottawa LRT tunnel boring machines named
- Better transportation key to quality of life, states CivicAction
- Three World Cup stadiums behind schedule
- Ontario introduces legislation to help protect vulnerable workers
- Istanbul’s Grand Bazaar inspires design of new strip mall currently being built in Las Vegas