October 21, 2013
VanDusen visitor centre earns award for its metal roof
The VanDusen Botanical Garden Visitor Centre in Vancouver, B.C. received a 2013 Chairman's Award from the Metal Construction Association (MCA).
It was the only Canadian project to be honoured in this year’s awards, which recognize outstanding building projects involving MCA member companies. The award was in the metal roofing category. In a release, the association said the visitor centre’s unique design simulates a native orchid.
Undulating green roof panels on the building float above rammed earth and concrete walls. Metal panels are used for the five-petal design that dramatically flows to the ground in a half-barrel shape.
The association judges noted that “this beautifully executed building has a roof crafted with exquisite detailing.”
The natural finish metal chosen for the building is easy to maintain.
3A Composites USA was the MCA member manufacturer on the project. Perkins+Will Canada was the architect and Ledcor Group of Companies, the contractor. The metal installer was Keith Panel Systems Co., Ltd.
The project was one of eight that received awards in various categories. The other projects were in the U.S.
They were handed out at the recent Metalcon International conference and exhibition in Atlanta, Ga.
JOC NEWS SERVICE
|MOST POPULAR STORIES|
|TODAY’S TOP CONSTRUCTION PROJECTS|
These projects have been selected from 299 projects with a total value of $6,054,395,373 that Reed Construction Data Building Reports reported on Tuesday.
$1,400,000,000 Greater Vancouver RD BC Negotiated
$127,000,000 Coquitlam BC Negotiated
$100,000,000 Division No 16 AB Prebid
- New Westminster Development
- Natural gas generating facilities planned
- Refinery costs jump by $2.8 billion
- Employers must be aware of liability at holiday office parties
- New charges needed for infrastructure
- Skills Training at BCIT
- Auditor generals weigh in on value of P3s
- Low lead requirements kicking in next year
- Mental heath and workplace psychology must be addressed
- Edmonton International Airport mall takes shape
- University of Winnipeg building an apartment complex
- Toronto firms tops for Winnipeg hut designs
- Toronto architect releases music album
- Road pricing an effective congestion fighter, say experts
- What does “Local Knowledge” really mean in Ontario AFPs?
- United States construction employers add 17,000 jobs in November but growth is uneven, finds AGC
- Toronto housing starts dip: CMHC
- Active unions needed, says Segal
- Saint John Harbour Bridge project wraps up