October 16, 2013
Journal of Commerce Update for the week of October 21st, 2013
In this week's update, we look at some of the stories we'll be covering in the Journal of Commerce for the week of October 21st, 2013.
BC and U.S. architectural associations are teaming up for a conference in Vancouver. The Architectural Institute of BC and the American Institute of Architects – Washington Council will hold the “Sea Change” conference from October 23rd to the 26th at the Vancouver Convention Centre.
Staff writer Richard Gilbert has a story about Don Cooper, a business consultant who addressed the recent Canadian Institute of Steel Construction conference in Whistler, B.C.
Richard also has a story about multi-family residential construction pushing building permit levels in August, while Alberta had one of its biggest declines in permits in the same month.
Paul Emanuelli has a column about a rejected claim by a subcontractor to directly challenge purchasing institutions over tendering disputes, and check out this week’s feature video about the VRCA Awards of Excellence, held on October 17th.
All this and more is available in print and online at www.journalofcommerce.com
|MOST POPULAR STORIES|
|TODAY’S TOP CONSTRUCTION PROJECTS|
These projects have been selected from 299 projects with a total value of $6,054,395,373 that Reed Construction Data Building Reports reported on Tuesday.
$1,400,000,000 Greater Vancouver RD BC Negotiated
$127,000,000 Coquitlam BC Negotiated
$100,000,000 Division No 16 AB Prebid
- New Westminster Development
- Natural gas generating facilities planned
- Refinery costs jump by $2.8 billion
- Employers must be aware of liability at holiday office parties
- New charges needed for infrastructure
- Skills Training at BCIT
- Auditor generals weigh in on value of P3s
- Low lead requirements kicking in next year
- Mental heath and workplace psychology must be addressed
- Edmonton International Airport mall takes shape
- University of Winnipeg building an apartment complex
- Toronto firms tops for Winnipeg hut designs
- Toronto architect releases music album
- Road pricing an effective congestion fighter, say experts
- What does “Local Knowledge” really mean in Ontario AFPs?
- United States construction employers add 17,000 jobs in November but growth is uneven, finds AGC
- Toronto housing starts dip: CMHC
- Active unions needed, says Segal
- Saint John Harbour Bridge project wraps up