December 4, 2013
VIDEO: Journal of Commerce Update for the week of December 9th, 2013
In this week's update, we look at some of the stories we'll be covering in the Journal of Commerce for the week of December 9th, 2013.
Taseko Mines is applying for a judicial review of a federal panel’s findings regarding a proposed gold mine near Williams Lake, BC, but the Tsilhqot’n First Nation says the legal action is an attack on the environmental assessment process.
Staff writer Richard Gilbert has a story about Rio Tinto’s massive investment in a Kitimat smelter project, even as the company cuts back worldwide on other projects.
Correspondent Jessica Krippendorf looks into the new CCDC 14 and 15 design-build stipulated price contracts released by the Canadian Construction Documents Committee.
Correspondent Peter Caulfield has a story about the transition in BC back to a provincial sales tax model, and how that has affected various sectors of the construction industry. Columnist Stephen Bauld goes into detail about contract uncertainty and price escalation.
This week’s feature video is an interview with Independent Contractors and Businesses Association president Philip Hochstein about his views on the present and future of construction in BC.
|MOST POPULAR STORIES|
|TODAY’S TOP CONSTRUCTION PROJECTS|
These projects have been selected from 460 projects with a total value of $2,479,930,740 that Reed Construction Data Building Reports reported on Wednesday.
$700,000,000 Strathcona County AB Prebid
$45,000,000 Coquitlam BC Negotiated
$45,000,000 Burnaby BC Negotiated
- Concerns raised about P3 approach for Saskatchewan schools
- Journal of Commerce Preview for the week of March 10th, 2014
- PHOTO GALLERY: 2014 Wood Design Awards
- Wastewater treatment plant tops priority list
- Lone bidder prepares P3 proposal for Alberta schools
- Industry reacts as details emerge about job grant agreement
- Demand rising for Kitimat camps
- Open textbooks are key to skills training
- InPower BC awarded John Hart project contract
- Skills training investment in Manitoba
- Premier claims pact justifies need for $10 billion dam
- VIDEO: LiUNA Local 183 Training Centre introduces new programs
- VIDEO: RCCAO Pre-Budget Roundtable on infrastructure
- Storied Burka Architects downsizes and transitions
- Learning Centre Construction
- Collaboration with industry important to workplace safety improvement: Witmer
- Robot-powered construction revolution
- Engineers design permanent flood protection for Calgary
- Inquest called into fatal Vecchio incident
- Infrastructure Ontario issues RFQ for Ontario Place construction
- Cisco picks Toronto for location of new innovation hub