February 17, 2014
Housing starts down
Canada Mortgage and Housing Corp. says the pace of housing starts slowed in January compared with the previous month.
The agency estimates there were 11,737 actual starts in January and that is extrapolated out to a seasonally adjusted annual rate of 180,248 – down from 187,144 in December.
Urban starts decreased by 2.7 per cent in January to 163,158 units on an adjusted annual basis.
Multiple urban starts were down 6.0 per cent to 102,289 units on the same basis.
Single-detached urban starts segment increased by 3.4 per cent to 60,869 units on the same seasonally adjusted basis.
Urban starts in January increased in the Prairies and in Ontario and fell in Atlantic Canada, Quebec and British Columbia.
News from © Canadian Press Enterprises Inc., 2014
|MOST POPULAR STORIES|
|TODAY’S TOP CONSTRUCTION PROJECTS|
These projects have been selected from 446 projects with a total value of $2,768,300,828 that Reed Construction Data Building Reports reported on Thursday.
$160,000,000 Maple Ridge BC Prebid
$38,780,000 Edmonton AB Prebid
$32,600,000 Edmonton AB Prebid
- Journal of Commerce Preview for the week of July 14th, 2014
- The One condominium complex construction underway
- Green bond to fund P3 project
- Largest solar energy project in Western Canada begins
- Canadian Construction Association explores impact of lean construction
- Cooperation is gaining momentum
- Vancouver Island Highway Work
- Report finds usual approach to water and water management will not work
- Irish construction workers in demand in Western Canada
- Union challenges potash mine
- Manitoba company fined for kickbacks
- Western premiers discuss Iqaluit development
- Apprenticeships need employers involved for success: panel
- New Streetcar Home
- To terminate, or not to terminate, that is the question
- Wastewater research centre showcases Canadian innovation
- Toronto housing starts decline in June
- Coalition drops legal challenge against Waterloo LRT
- Western premiers, emissaries discuss development’s impact on North
- Comments invited on BlackRock Mining EA
- Investigation underway after worker injured at Canadian Solar site