February 26, 2014
Ladner leisure centre wall collapse
The City of Delta, B.C. has hired an engineering firm to conduct a building envelope assessment at the Ladner Leisure Centre, after an outer wall of the structure collapsed last week.
While the exact cause of the failure hasn't yet been determined, Delta chief administrative officer George Harvie said it appears that stresses over the years caused the fasteners holding the facade to fail.
The collapse of the wall forced the evacuation of staff and patrons from the building, but no injuries were reported.
A large portion of the centre remains closed as the engineering firm determines a course of action to repair the facility.
|MOST POPULAR STORIES|
|TODAY’S TOP CONSTRUCTION PROJECTS|
These projects have been selected from 368 projects with a total value of $7,826,276,357 that Reed Construction Data Building Reports reported on Monday.
$4,200,000,000 Hardisty AB Prebid
$200,000,000 Vancouver BC Negotiated
$127,000,000 Coquitlam BC Negotiated
- VIDEO: Construction on the Panama Canal expansion
- Concerns raised about P3 approach for Saskatchewan schools
- Manitoba focuses on infrastructure spending in budget
- Journal of Commerce Preview for the week of March 10th, 2014
- Team work and prep are keys to success: Hadfield
- Panama Canal expansion digs deep
- Wood Design Awards
- Outgoing chair reflects on time at the helm of the CCA
- School board asks for traditional procurement
- Site Services in Vancouver
- Looking to improve contract awards
- Environmental verdict riles Taseko
- Prentice to mediate First Nations agreements
- CAWIC funded to create action plan to attract women
- More video surveillance used on construction sites
- Modular workforce housing meets Alberta Building Code standard
- Manitoba outlines infrastructure plan
- BC Hydro posts RFQ for Site C project
- A Closer Look VIDEO: Construction on the Panama Canal Expansion
- CCA96th: Unlocking Canada's Potential
- Break ground beyond Canada, says new CCA chair
- Construction of Haiti’s Ecole Lakay drives forward
- The power of proper project management
- Panama Construction Fact for Today
- Federal government unveils $32.5 million in funding for Quebec ice oval
- Canadian job market “sputters” in February
- Construction and machinery to see increased investment, says StatsCan
- Line 3 pipeline plans for Enbridge